Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Polar Bear Plunge!

Yesterday I met one of my goals and participated in the 15th Anniversary Polar Bear Plunge. Water temp: 33 degrees. The event production was a little disappointing. After checking in (with my handy freeze-e-pass) and getting my new sweatshirt, there wasn't a whole lot to do. Nick and I got pit beef sandwiches and shared some fries, and other wise stood around pretty cold. Here's a video of us waiting around:

It took a while to finally find Susannah and her friends, but we managed to meet up literally minutes before going in the water. I'm so glad I didn't have to do it alone- having someone else in there with me made it much more fun! Not going to lie, the water was cold. Really cold. My legs felt like bricks from a total lack of feeling. But it was amazing. I was so proud of myself for setting this goal and doing it. It's so out of the norm for me to voluntarily jump into cold freezing water, but I did it! It was awesome to be a part of group doing something together.

Afterwards, I realized that running in a race would give me that same great feeling. Plus, I know that I would be more fit by training for a race, and it would it give me a great reason to work out. The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in DC is June 4. That gives me roughly four months to train for it, which is totally do-able. I have to keep reminding myself of how great I felt yesterday as my motivation to run and train. Annnnd it would allow me to cross a few more goals off my list!

More videos of me at the Plunge can be found here.

Up next, a list of things I want to cook/bake/make in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment